The Mans Cave App

The Mans Cave

The Mans Cave was a concept originated long before my time. The men in my family have always had their place of solitude where men could be men and there was no questioning. I now live the city life which means the man cave has been greatly reduced in size. That brought me to create an internet based man cave where all men can join in. Whether geek, gamer, jock, fitness, brewer, BBQ-er, or just looking for a place to read about manly news, you will find a home in the Man Cave

The Man Cave Sports Ticker

Man Cave Social Life

Recent Posts

Friday, April 15, 2011

Samuel Adams Longshot Homebrew 6-Pack Reviews

As a homebrewer, the Samuel Adams Longshot Homebrew competition gives many of us the exciting opportunity to enter a competition where we can compete against fellow homebrewers, and possibly gain some recognition for doing things in the best way we see possible.  As a beer drinker, the competition produces great beer that I can enjoy.  I just picked up a six-pack of this year's Longshot Homebrew winners and I'm here to provide you reviews of all three of this year's winning beers.


This year's homebrew competition required that all of the beers be ones that fit into category 23 of the BJCP rules.  That basically means they must stretch the boundaries of what commonly fits into the other categories of beer.

Friar Hop Ale-  This beer combines a spicy belgian ale with the hoppiness of an IPA.  It pours a nice clear, golden color and you immediately smell both the spice of the Belgian yeast and the citrusy American hops that it was brewed with.  The taste pretty much backs up exactly what you get in the smell.  It starts with a strong kick from the spice and orange flavor that you would expect in a Belgian, but then the bitter hoppiness carries on and finishes the taste.  The one downside I thought there was to this beer was that the spice in the front of the beer was a little too strong in my opinion.  A little more restraint there would have been nice. Rating 7/10

Honey B's Lavender Ale-  I swore to myself that I wasn't going to knock it before I tried it.  This beer definitely stretches boundaries.  It actually is brewed with dried lavender petals.  The pour of this brew is a light pale gold, and the aroma is clearly lavender.  It's not like smelling potpouri, which is what I thought it was going to be, but there is definitely a floral smell to it.  The taste is better than I originally thought it was going to be, but again the floral taste is definitely there.  The honey in the beer helps to give it a little sweetness, which it definitely needs.  This is not something that I would want to drink more than half a beer of, but it did taste better than I expected.  Rating- 5/10

Blackened Hops- There is a new style of beer that has become more popular known as Cascadian Dark Ale (or Black IPA or many other names depending on who you ask).  That is what I thought this beer was going to be, mostly because of the name.  The pour is dark black, and the smell is nothing but hops, which surprises you enough.  However, the taste is where this one is really surprising.  Unlike the Black IPA style, there are notes of coffee and roasty malts that actually come through in the taste.  Much to my surprise and enjoyment, they actually work together.  Of the 3 beers in this six-pack, I enjoyed this one the most.  Rating- 8/10

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...