The Mans Cave App

The Mans Cave

The Mans Cave was a concept originated long before my time. The men in my family have always had their place of solitude where men could be men and there was no questioning. I now live the city life which means the man cave has been greatly reduced in size. That brought me to create an internet based man cave where all men can join in. Whether geek, gamer, jock, fitness, brewer, BBQ-er, or just looking for a place to read about manly news, you will find a home in the Man Cave

The Man Cave Sports Ticker

Man Cave Social Life

Recent Posts

Monday, April 11, 2011

Chimay Brewery Review

This brewery has been on my list of beers to try for about a year now, but I can never find myself willing to spend around $10 for a 25 oz bottle without knowing more about it.  However, I recently was able to try all three of them in a side by side tasting of sorts.  Needless to say, I was pretty surprised by the results.  Let me say this before the reviews start; the more Belgian quad style beers I try, the more I find that they are not my favorite style of beer.  I am not saying that they are not good beers, nor am I saying that I won't try them anymore, but if I was going to choose a beer to drink, I find myself thinking that I probably won't be choosing a Belgian quad.  Now for the reviews:


Chimay Cinq Cents (Triple)- Move over champagne, this should be the new liquid with which toasts are given at any important event.  Perfectly carbonated with about 1 million tiny bubbles filling the head, this beer is crisp, hoppy, and balanced by a sweet fruit flavor and malty background.  I will come right out and say that this was my favorite of the three beers that are produced by this brewery.  A nice golden color with an aroma that lets you know exactly what you will be drinking.  Slight dried fruit aroma, but the crispness of the hops is the real winner here.  In no way is this a hoppy beer, but just very well balanced. Rating 8.5/10

Chimay Premiere (Red)- I'm not going to lie, I kind of forget what this beer tasted like.  Not to say that it wasn't a good beer (my father-in-law actually said this was his favorite of the three), but in my opinion it did not stand out as much as the other two.  There was a decent head on the pour, and the aroma was nicely balanced between bitterness and sweeter fruit than the Triple.  The color is perhaps my favorite part of this beer.  It is a deep red that seems to just glow in your glass.  Rating- 7/10

Chimay Grande Reserve (Quad)- Well as you read above, I've come to realize that this is not my favorite style of beer.  However, I'll try to be as objective as I can.  After having tried St. Bernardus Abt 12, and then trying this beer, I would have to say that this one is slightly more enjoyable.  I know I am probably in the minority with that statement, but this just seemed to be more balanced than the Abt 12.  Deep raisiny and brown sugar flavors dominate, but unlike the Abt 12, this beer seemed to have a little more depth to the maltiness of the beer.  Perhaps the reason I don't prefer these beers is that the aroma and flavor just seem musty to me.  That might be why some people like them, but the flavor seems to disappear behind the must.  Rating- 6.5/10 (Better than Abt 12, but definitely not the best ever)

Hope you are all getting your equipment and supplies together for our grain to glass episode.  It will be here before you know it and it should be a great time and a great brew day.  Cheers and Happy Brewing!

8 comments:

AmBored said...

yummy looks tasty +followed

Jack Miller said...

Tried out the Chimay Premiere, and thought it was excellent! Can definitely recommend it!

brewmaster12 said...

Yeah I thought it was pretty good, but I honestly tried so many beers that day that I couldn't really remember it too much! Thanks for the recommendation!

trelin64 said...

Sounds too pricey for me.

brewmaster12 said...

Yeah it is a little pricey. That's why I've always had a hard time buying it, but if you get the chance to try them don't pass it up. Especially the triple...

Ronny Stiftel said...

sounds tasty

fish1992 said...

Looks like a pretty expensive hobby you have there haha.
I've always wanted to get into it but just the cost puts me off.
Your blog is awesome man, i've just started out, should check it out

brewmaster12 said...

I try and spend wisely haha! These last couple reviews I actually got to try all at once at a beer tasting event in South Florida so that always helps out. Nice blog though! Definitely funny stuff

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...